Free Groceries for Clients
Each month, Ginny’s Helping Hand supports thousands of people in North Central Massachusetts by providing fresh, frozen, and shelf-stable groceries that come from scores of partners and supporters. Ginny’s Staff and Volunteers are committed to providing healthy food and courteous service to every Client who comes through the door.
Groceries for Clients
- Pantry Pick-Ups – Twice a month during normal hours
Each Client Household is welcome to receive up to two (2) Pantry Pick-Ups each calendar month. Each Pantry Pick-Up consists of two (2) to four (4) bags of groceries, depending on what is in stock that day. When possible, larger households receive more portions of some items.
- You must wear a face mask when you are at Ginny’s Helping Hand
- Please bring tote bags or backpacks to transport your groceries
- We do not deliver groceries. If you are unable to come yourself, you may have a neighbor or friend pick up your groceries at Ginny’s Helping Hand, 52 Mechanic St, Leominster, MA.
- Whiteboard Items (Perishable)
We regularly update the whiteboard at the Food Pantry Desk with a list of available perishable items. On days without a Pantry Pick-up, each Client Household is welcome to request any Whiteboard Items, which may include anything from apples and bananas to avocados and pineapples.
- Shelf Items
In addition to twice-monthly Pantry Pick-Ups, each household is welcome to select from whatever Shelf Items are available at the time. Shelf Items almost always include bread or rolls. Often there are other items as well, which may range from shelf-stable food to winter hats, to toiletries, to laundry detergent.
- Specific Supplies
Sometimes Ginny’s has diapers, menstrual products, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and/or pet food for people in need. Clients are welcome to request these Specific Supplies, with the understanding that we may not have any available that day.
How to become a client
Anyone in need of food is welcome to become a Food Pantry Client at Ginny’s Helping Hand. When you register in-person, you can leave with two to four bags of groceries that same day.
- There are no citizen questions
- There is no requirement for a photo ID
To register as a Food Pantry Client at Ginny’s, come in person to 52 Mechanic St, Leominster, MA, where we will ask for:
- Your name
- Your home address (unless you are currently homeless)
- Your cell phone number (if you have one)
- The first name and age of each person in your household
- Your primary source of income such as employment, Social Security, etc.
- Information about state/federal program participation such as SNAP/EBT, WIC, etc.
If you have questions, please submit them here with your contact information or call us at 978-537-1387.
If you are not able to communicate in English or Spanish, please bring someone with you who can translate for us or be patient with us as we use Google Translate.
Se você não conseguir se comunicar em inglês ou espanhol, traga alguém que possa traduzir para nós ou seja paciente conosco, pois usamos o Google Tradutor.
Si no puede comunicarse en inglés o español, traiga a alguien que pueda traducir para nosotros o tenga paciencia con nosotros ya que usamos Google Translate.
Food for non-clients
If you are not registered as a Food Pantry Client at Ginny’s Helping Hand, you are still able to come during our normal hours and chose a limited number of food items that change day to day, and season to season. These items are:
Whiteboard Items (perishable)
We regularly update the whiteboard at the Food Pantry Desk with a list of the available perishable items. Anyone may request Whiteboard Items, which may include anything from apples and bananas to avocados and pineapples. Quantities are limited. You must request Whiteboard Items in person during our normal hours.
Shelf Items (non-perishable)
Shelf Items almost always include bread or rolls. Often there are other items as well, which may range from shelf-stable food to winter hats, to toiletries, to laundry detergent. Quantities or limited. You are welcome to pick up Shelf Items during our normal hours.
Donations to the food pantry
Each month the Food Pantry at Ginny’s Helping Hand provides groceries to help feed upwards of 1,500 people in North Central MA who are struggling to afford food. To do this, we rely on donated food from the Worcester County Food Bank; grocery stores (Hannafords, Target, and BJ’s); as well as generous individuals, businesses, schools, places of worship, and other groups.
Ginny’s Helping Hand is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization; all contributions are tax-deductible, as allowed by law.
Ways to Support the Food Pantry at Ginny’s Helping Hand
- Make a Financial Contribution
- Help us to buy food, pay staff, and keep the Food Pantry open.
- Donate Gift Cards to Local Farmers or Supermarkets
- When donated fresh produce is scarce, gift cards let us buy healthy fruit and vegetables. Please bring or mail gift cards to Ginny’s Helping Hand, 52 Mechanic St, Leominster, MA 01453
- Donate Food
- Ginny’s Helping Hand welcomes your contributions, whether you share a few extra items or coordinate a Food Drive!
- If you are planning a food drive please contact us first (978-537-1387, GinnysHelpingHands@gmail.com) so we can coordinate on timing and the most needed items at that time.
- We accept food donations during Ginny’s normal hours. Please do not leave anything outside the building.
- Recommended items to donate (ideally in non-glass containers) are:
- Healthy snacks (dried fruit, nuts, trail mix, protein bars)
- Spices and condiments
- Rice & pasta
- Peanut butter
- Cooking oil
- 100% juice
- Shelf-stable milk
- Low-sodium soups, stews, chili
Holiday food baskets
Ginny’s Helping Hand provides Holiday Food Baskets to hundreds of families in need. While supplies vary somewhat, the Holiday Baskets typically include a frozen turkey or ham, stuffing, gravy, carrots, potatoes, onions, cranberry sauce, butter, rolls, and pie fixings.
During the Sign-Up we will be able to tell you which days and times you may pick-up a Holiday Basket. Please note that we are unable to make deliveries.
Sign-up for a food basket
During the appropriate Sign-Up, call 978-537-1387 or click on the button to request a Holiday Food Basket.
November Basket Sign-up
Sign-up between October 1st and October 31st to pickup a basket in November, shortly before Thanksgiving.
December Basket Sign-up
Sign-up between between November 1st and November 30th to pickup a basket in December, shortly before 12/25.
To SUPPORT the Holiday Food Baskets, please: